Monday, August 29, 2016

Worship Arts Month 2016! August 21: "Hymn Sing"


For this third Sunday of Worship Arts Month, we featured a "Hymn Sing", in which 15 of our favorite hymns were chosen and sung in an entire program of these classics.

There is much value in these treasures.  These songs would not have survived all these years unless they held theological and doctrinal truths that are as vital to our faith today as they were when first penned!

My "guidelines" on using hymns in corporate worship is the same as it is for any music we include:

Is the music doctrinally sound?  
Do we know what the lyrics mean?  
Is it relevant to the Church today? 
Does it honor God?

With those questions answered, I welcome any musical style!  Because worship is not about style, genre, tempo, or instrumentation.  That's the part of music in worship that is most difficult for us to overcome.  And yet, it is in understanding this concept that we must move forward!

Hymns are a vital part of or forward moving as a church.  And these hymns we love so much are as much a part of that as anything we do in our corporate worship!

Consider the relevance of these lyrics from one of our chosen hymns:

I serve a risen Savior
He's in the world today
I know that He is living
Whatever men may say
I see His hand of mercy
I hear His voice of cheer
And just the time I need Him
He's always near

He lives He lives
Christ Jesus lives today
He walks with me and talks with me
Along life's narrow way
He lives He lives
Salvation to impart
You ask me how I know He lives
He lives within my heart

In these lyrics is the basic tenet of our faith!  Our Savior lives!  And this is one reason why our music in worship is so important.  It helps us express our faith in ways we often cannot on our own.

As long as I have breath, these "Hymns of the Faith" will always be a part of our worship.


No comments:

Post a Comment