Monday, September 7, 2015

Worship. That Is All.

A recent blog by self-proclaimed “eclectic writer” Thom Schultz on the state of worship in today’s church has been an igniter of a ton of responses—pro and con to Mr. Schultz’s stand.  (Click here to read his blog.)

The article is titled “Why They Don’t Sing on Sunday Anymore”.  It is mostly an indictment on today’s church worship services. 

I have no problem with people offering opinions.  Where I have an issue is when the author states opinions or a position on a perceived problem, but then doesn’t offer any solution.  What that amounts to, in my opinion, is just wordy complaining. 

From what I can find out about Mr. Schultz, which is precious little, he has never led worship in a church environment.  So, that colors my response to his article to begin with.  However, I am not saying that he doesn’t make any valid points.  He does.  These are things to consider.

The larger problem, though, are some of the responses I’ve seen.  Many have taken his article and have made it a battle flag for their preferred style of worship.  They are missing the point entirely.

I have many thoughts on this, particularly in my calling as a worship leader. And there are valid points in all of the responses I read, as well as the author's main points. But I will say this: Worship is a choice. Period. God admonishes us to sing praises to him. Eighty times in scripture. Not once does he ever say "If you like the style of music..."  (Lifeway’s Mike Harland has a great article on this at WorshipLife.com.  Click here to read that article.) 

Some responses to Mr. Schultz’s article tried to reduce the question of worship to the silliest arguments. If your only sticking point in regards to a worship service in today’s church is that your church uses a "projector instead of hymnals," you need to revisit your argument.  Sorry, but that's no more valid than the old "pews versus chairs."  And yet, I’ve seen churches nearly split over just such silliness.

We just finished "Worship Arts Month" at my church, and one Sunday we did a "Hymn Sing" in which we went through a medley of 28 hymns, all chosen by the congregation, and not once did I say "turn to page..." It was all on-screen. And the congregation loved it.

Let's dig a little deeper...

We look for--and find--too many reasons not to worship today. Unfortunately, the subjectivity of music is the easiest to jump on. We want good musicians and leaders, but we want to bottle them into our own version of worship. We want to participate in worship--as long as it's the music we like and the style we prefer.

Let me make this clear: God. Doesn't. Care. He wants us to CHOOSE to worship him, and he wants it to be authentic. And, oh by the way, he wants us to sing.

We all want to package worship--particularly the music of worship--into a little box that looks exactly like what we grew up with. That's the only acceptable version to us. No projector. No words on screen. No band. Hymnals only. Nothing with any newer language than King James. (Do we really expect younger generations to understand--let alone worship while singing--"Let the Lower Lights Be Burning"?) Now THAT'S worship!

While we're at it, shouldn't we also go back to the days of no air-conditioning and hard pews? (I do have fond memories of those funeral home-provided fans in the racks of the pews...) The point is, we are happy with some changes--or at least more accepting of them--but changing something like music and worship is off limits. Didn't we get used to air-conditioning? I know I did! Might we be able to learn the new worship music? Shouldn't we be willing to give it a chance?

Yes, there are ways of teaching the church new music, and shoving it down our throats is definitely the wrong way. That's why the "job" of worship leader is so much more challenging than ever before. Sometimes, we do it wrong. Sometimes, leaders say, in essence, "Here's the new music. If you don't sing it, you're lost!" That's wrong. Sometimes, leaders try to force their own preferred style on the church. That's wrong. But, sometimes, leaders are pressured by the "power brokers" of the congregation to lead worship the way they want it! (Yes, it has happened!) It's a tough calling these days.

I am 61 years old. I'm a PK, so I've been leading music in church since I was tall enough to see over a pulpit! I've been through the "hymnals only," and I've been through the "Jesus Movement." I've been on staff at a church when it was called "Music Leader" and "Music Director" and now “Worship Arts Director.”  I've been a touring musician and I've been a choir member. And I've worshiped in the congregation while someone else led. I've seen just about all there is to see--so far--in a worship service. Believe me, I've seen the good and bad. I've been harsh in my criticism and I've been liberal with my accolades. Through it all, I've learned that authentic worship is just that--worship.  It's not a style of music. And worship is a choice.

On the other extreme from the "Hymnals Only" army, there are the "entertainers" such as the author mentions in this blog. And they are wrong as well. I see worship leaders and band members like that everywhere, including in local churches where I live. It's a show. The actual heart of worship is lost amidst flashing blue lights and extended guitar solos. Is there a place for that? I absolutely believe there is! I strongly believe in Christian entertainment and letting these artists display their gifts. But I prefer that in venues where the audience is there for that reason. And don't get me wrong, I've been to MANY Christian music concerts where worship broke out! I love it!

But in a corporate environment on a Sunday morning, we need to be cognizant of our people and do what we can to meet their needs and lead them all to worship. Today's church is increasingly multi-generational. What are we doing to lead them in worship? I can assure you that the answer is NOT to cater to the musical tastes of any one particular group!

And that's why my calling is so extremely difficult in today's church. Most of us really do have our hearts in the right place. We're trying. Believe me. We're trying to make it a worship experience for all ages. In today's church, we may have people who grew up with no "music director" and hymnals only. (And maybe hard pews with no pads?) Two rows behind them may be a young couple whose exposure to worship music is what they hear on K-LOVE. And we're trying to make it a worship experience for them all.

But we all, as a church, have to do our part.  We need to get over ourselves, and as Matt Redman says in his wonderful worship song, get back to "the heart of worship." Stop saying that hymns are better lyrically than modern worship music (I'll put "Whom Shall I Fear" and "Love Ran Red" up against any song in any hymnal for spiritual message!).  Stop saying that this "new" worship music is too repetitive unless you're also willing to strip "When the Roll Is Called up Yonder" (and others) from the hymnals.

See, when we focus on the music, we can all find ammunition for our Battle of Worship Style. 
But, what if we tried to find common ground in worship instead of sitting there looking like Jeff Dunham’s “Walter” character, daring someone to encourage us to sing?  What if we began looking around us to see who was in our service, and thought about what might reach them?  What if we were to look at worship through the eyes of the unworthy?

Consider this letter from a disgruntled church member to Billy Graham, and his response:

Q:
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but from time to time our church's music director introduces new songs into the service, and I don't care for them. I like the old hymns, and wish he'd just stick with them. Should I complain to our pastor?
A:
I know this has been a controversial issue in many churches, and I don’t pretend to have all the answers, especially since I’m not particularly musical! But we have a singing faith, and God has given us the gift of music to praise Him. The Psalmist declared, “With singing lips my mouth will praise you” (Psalm 63:5).

Instead of complaining to your pastor (or anyone else), I urge you to ask God to help you be grateful for all music that points us to God, new or old. No, you may not like some of it, but others do, and God can use it in their lives to encourage them and bring them closer to Christ. Remember: The old hymns you like were once new, and someone probably didn’t like them, either!

Sometimes, I’m afraid, a hymn can become so familiar to us that we sing it without even thinking about the words. But this is wrong, because then our singing becomes empty and meaningless. Don’t let this happen to you, but meditate on the words of the songs you sing, and even turn them into a prayer.

Your music director has probably been wise to introduce new songs slowly; completely changing everything all at once can be disruptive. Pray for him and encourage him, letting him know that you’re grateful for his gifts. Yes, let him know you appreciate the old hymns, but support him also as he seeks to reach a new generation through music.

Let’s stop making excuses, and do what God tells us to do: sing. Let’s try and learn the new songs. Try and listen to the message in the songs. And find a new way to worship.

But above all, worship.  And worship in spirit and truth, as instructed. 

Worship is not a style.  Worship is more than music.  Worship is an action.  And worship is a choice. Your choice. And if you need help in making this choice, remember what God says: “sing.”



No comments:

Post a Comment